Country Visions Country Stores have trained, knowledgeable staff members to help you with questions about your pets nutrition.
The following was provided by April at Country Visions Kiel Country Store location...
HELP YOUR PET SHED SOME POUNDS
1. CALCULATE THE CALORIES---Use this general guide for calculating per day calories needed for your pet. Take your pets weight and divide by 2.2 then multiply that by 30 and then add 70. (example: 26/2.2=11.81X30=354.30+70=424.30 In this example, approx. 424 calories per day.)
2. MEASURE MEALS---Use a measuring cup! After calculating the calories your pet needs, figure out how much to feed at each meal and MEASURE IT!
3. TREATING TASTEFULLY---Using low calorie and sugar free treats, or ones with specific health benefits are great ways to reward your pet. Be sure to figure those extra calories into the daily calorie intake, or all efforts will be lost.
4. FRUITS AND VEGGIES---Make a move away from highly processed treats and try offering green beans, broccoli, sliced apples, bananas, or ice cubes. These are nutritious healthy options for many dogs. A flake of salmon or tuna are great alternatives for cats.
5. EXERCISE ANYONE?---Did you know that 20-30 minutes of fast walking can boost immune function, heart health, and tame down some behavioral problems in dogs? For cats, try getting interactive self-motivated toys that keep your furry feline busy, so they are not creating havoc in your home while you are away at work.
6. SUPPLEMENTS---Almost every pet and person can benefit from a daily omega-3 fatty acid supplement. These fish oils are a potent anti-oxidant. L-carnitine also has shown to help aid in weight loss and promote lean muscle mass.
7. CARB TAKE OUT---Most of our pets don’t need a high carb diet, yet many pet foods contain 60% or more. Try feeding low or no-grain food with a protein source as the first ingredient. High protein/low carb diets are recommended for weight loss.
BE SURE TO CHECK WITH YOUR VET BEFORE MAKING ANY DIET CHANGES